Shaw's Garden went OK on the 2nd, even though it was raining cats & dogs when we got there. I say it went OK because I'm not sure if it's because I go along or if it's because the Garden is a place he goes frequently & has a routine there, but Teddy won't participate like the other kids. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to act like a "typical" kid suddenly when on a field trip, it's just that he's so non-compliant it makes me wonder if my presence is throwing him off. It's one of those times when school & home intersect, & I don't think he can deal with that very well. After he wouldn't go to the Children's Garden when the rest of his class did & then couldn't sit still & be quiet during the storytelling festival, I felt like giving up. And in fact I think I have--I don't intend to go on any more field trips after the one this Friday. I don't know if that's the right decision or not, but I'm not sure what else to do.
That said, I was talking with Alan last night about how much Teddy has matured just since Christmas. I'm so proud of him! He's trying to things himself so much more, & I've been adapting things so he can. For example, I bought 2 small jugs to put apple juice & milk in for him. That way he can pour it himself. I also put all the fixings for making cereal on his level, & he can do that too now. The other day he told me, "Mom, I'm so glad you got those 2 jugs for me!"
Independence is something I think is hard for any parent to deal with, but it's been especially difficult for Alan & I. When your child looses it when they try to do something & it doesn't turn out exactly as they envisioned it, you tend to just do it for them. That's what Teddy's life has been like for the most part, since he doesn't want to mess up either.
But now he's starting to branch out. He hasn't moved any of the rocks in the backyard yet this spring. That's something that has never happened before. He's more responsible with his play things, not breaking them as much as he used to. And he just looks & acts like an all-around big guy. He's a wonder to behold, my Ted is. I'm so proud of him!
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment