Monday, April 2, 2012

Overdose

To keep track of Teddy's meds we use a pill reminder.  It's a weekly one & it goes from Sunday to Saturday.  Come Saturday night I usually fill it up again.  Except this past Saturday I didn't, I was feeling tired & lazy (happens a lot!).
Sunday mornings are when Alan gets up with Teddy, so he's usually the one who gives him his morning meds.  Yesterday Teddy was kind & slept in till 7:45, so after Alan & he got up I went ahead & got up at 8 since I couldn't sleep anymore anyway.
I came out to the kitchen & while I was making my coffee saw the pill reminder.  Aha! I thought, I'll fill that up now & then give Ted his meds.  So after getting the lad to eat some Cocoa Puffs I took the meds I'd just put in the SUN AM compartment & gave them to him.  He was a bit preoccupied by his fountains, filling them & messing with them as he always does.
Later in the day, after helping Alan mow the lawn, we decided to go to Bob's Drive-In for lunch.  Right before we leave, though, Teddy starts acting really really crabby.  There is nothing that has brought this on, it's totally out of the blue.
By the time we get to Bob's, Teddy is complaining that he's having double vision.  We've had this happen before with his Vimpat, so I just chalked it up to having a side effect from that again.  Though it didn't make sense he'd have one...
Long story short, he started suffering from severe vertigo & couldn't even sit up, let alone walk.  We got him home & Alan had to half carry/half drag him into the house & lay him on the couch downstairs.  And on the drive home we'd figured out what happened--we'd both given him his morning meds.  Alan had given them already by the time I got up, & Teddy forgot about it in his preoccupation with the fountains.
Luckily there was no permanent harm, just a rough day of dizziness, vertigo, double vision, & a whole lot of naps.  Too many naps, cause then once it got to be bedtime he couldn't fall asleep!  Not until 2:30 AM, that is!
So Ted & I had a day home today.  He's still been in a crabbier-than-normal mood, but I think he's coming out of it.  He had one seizure at Shaw's Garden, but I think it's totally due to the crazy levels of med in his system.
Suffice it to say, I'm not ever letting the damn pill reminder stay empty again!!

No comments: