Friday, February 1, 2008

Too Much

This morning I was awakened by the pitter patter of not-so-little-anymore feet. Teddy was running down the hall after waking up at 7, & as I listened I heard the expected--he slowly opened the vertical blinds that cover the back door. He was looking for snow, as in how much had fallen overnight. Yes, we got a snow day today & boy was he excited. He was glued to the windows & got all worked up when "little red" ,the 4 wheeler snow plow, made a couple passes.

Yesterday was the first day of upping his AM meds & he told me he was "dizzy without moving" after he took them. This morning he just didn't want to eat or drink anything after taking them, but after awhile he demanded I help him get dressed so he could go outside.

He went out onto the back porch & had his snow shovel ready to go. He likes to shovel off the porch & the brick area too, & we'd gotten a good 6-8 inches so he had plenty of work. But after about 3 minutes he started to scream.

To make a long story short, after he threw his shovel & called us names we finally got him inside & he melted down. After lying in bed with him in the dark & got out of him what was wrong--too much snow. He couldn't handle it, & we didn't understand what was wrong so we didn't handle it very well either.

The overwhelming amount of snow sent him over the edge, & maybe that's a good annology for what Alan & I go thru--the overwhelming amount of patience needed to deal with Teddy can send us over the edge too. We constantly get overwhelmed, & then feel worse than ever when we do. For Teddy, the snow storm stopped & the snow didn't get any higher. Sometimes, when days are hard, it seems like the storm of Teddy's challenges due to his disability never stops. The snow piles so high as to seem insurmountable.

1 comment:

Saranne said...

So excited that you are on blogspot now and that I can leave comments! Also so sorry to hear about your rough morning, I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel at times!