Saturday, June 27, 2009

Well, so much for twice weekly updates! The fact of the matter is I just don't have time for it. Mostly it has to do with myself--I'm the kind of person that likes to be left alone to write, & that's something that I just don't get much. But I think it's important to write on here, so I'm going to try to modify my writing habits enough to get this done twice a week!

Teddy has had a rough week. First things first, though--we got his lab results back. Basically it told us two things: his Lamictal levels are in the low/normal range, & his liver enzymes reflect an impending massive growth spurt. These two things together led the neuro to increase his dose of Lamictal.

Now, why he's having the rough week is because he's been "seizury" all the time. He's had four obvious seizures in the past month, but I think he has constant seizure-like activity going on in his brain. This makes him "stroppy", to borrow a word from the Brits. Basically, it makes doing anything with him very very difficult.

It's hard to stay positive right now with him acting this way. We had plans of maybe taking a vacation again this summer, but now we know that just isn't going to happen.

We went to the zoo yesterday & it just confirmed our decision not to do much this summer. Granted, there were a few unexpected things that made the trip harder, but really, isn't that always going to happen? Yesterday the unexpected things were the fact they were letting out an overnight sleepover when we got there, they had a crane blocking our normal entrance, & they did an escaped animal drill while we were there!

Then there is the heat--it's been unbearable. I know summer in St. Louis is a horrible experience, but usually it doesn't get like this until July. Neither myself, Alan, or Teddy are able to handle the heat very well. We all get crabby when our clothes start to stick to us, & when that happens 5 minutes after leaving the air conditioning it makes for a crappy time.

Well, now that I've vomited out my negative feelings on here, maybe I can put down a few positive goals for the summer:
  • get Teddy's seizures under control
  • take advantage of the good weather days by being outside moving around
  • keep Teddy occupied on bad weather days with fun things indoors
  • get the dying tree in the back yard cut down
  • eat healthier
  • work on some independence skills with Teddy, like showering, dressing, & tooth brushing
  • read with Teddy more

That's more than enough for now! Sorry for the long post--I'll try to make more frequent, shorter posts in the future.

Have a great day!

No comments: