Sunday, January 23, 2011

Snow & Stuff

Funny how as Teddy gets older it seems like I don't need as much reassurance as I used to. I wonder if that's what this blog is about--putting the challenges out there in the hopes of getting reassurance that we're doing right by him. Any more I know that we're doing the best we can and we'll all be fine; not perfect, just fine. The goals are different and that's how it should be.

We've had an incredibly snowy winter and it hasn't stopped yet since it's snowing right now as I write! Teddy loves to shovel snow so he's been busy doing the driveway, the back porch, the bricks. He even started shoveling the grass the other day since everything else was cleared off already, so he's pretty happy about getting more snow. He's telling me right now how he's going to clean the snow out of a fountain that we picked up yesterday from my friend Lois. It's an old broken fountain that I'm not sure we will be able to fix, but that doesn't deter Teddy. He's determined to make the fountain work come spring and I'm sure that somehow it will be working.

I've been indulging myself lately in something that I haven't really ever done before. Most parents of neurotypical kids do this on a regular basis I think, but it's something that we parents of kids with challenges don't do. That is imagining what Teddy's future will be like. I've had visions recently of him working somewhere--maybe at the hospital I work at, maybe some other large company. I can see him going around and picking up the trash from several different departments, chatting with the people there from time to time, and doing a very good job. I have confidence in his ability to do a job well and I think that once he's trained in something he will do it very thoroughly. I can see people at a work place proudly saying that he's one of the best.

I feel confident this will happen for him. I can see him happy and full of purpose, doing a job well. That's because I see him doing it now. We have the best-shoveled driveway in the county.

No comments: