Monday, November 24, 2008

Headaches & Seizures & Testing Results

Last night Teddy woke up twice, screaming that it felt like the inside of his head was on fire. He couldn't stop crying & yelling, but both times he fell back to sleep pretty quickly. Then this morning right when we were getting ready to walk out the door he had a seizure--one of his typical hemiparetic ones. He seems to be kinda out of it right now, after school. Also, last night he just couldn't stop moving around while he was trying to read his book to me. He was having a really hard time, & I heard from his teacher this afternoon that he was that way during lunch today too.
Alan & I went to Hodge today to get the results of the testing they'd done on him over the past few weeks. The tests were things like IQ, adaptive behavior, speech issues, autism testing, stuff like that. Alan left before the meeting started because Teddy was looking so out of it & he figured he'd just take him home.
Basically, if you look at the numbers, they're bad. But of course all these tests are comparing him to typical kids of his age, which isn't very fair. His distractability & short-term memory issues make these kinds of things very very hard for him too.
The total IQ score was 59. That's in the MR range. But the diagnostician said that she didn't think he was really cooperating on part of the test, since it went down about 20 points since he'd last had it done (summer 06). He was very distracted & also just seemed to pick pictures that he liked in this section, rather than pick the ones that were appropriate to finish the story.
I don't know, I just think it's hard to put any kind of number on a person. I don't know what to do with the information. Is he getting worse? Is he just sick of testing? Is there any point to any of this? Does this help him in any way? Does this help anyone in any way?
His teachers were very encouraged by his work & said that he was a sweet boy & always compliant (wish that happened at home!!). I'm so glad he is able to have a better experience at school this year.
Bottom line--I'm scared to death of what the future will be for him, especially at school.

No comments: